Monday, January 4, 2010
I snapped this photo from the footbridge connecting the two halves of the Westside Pavilion mall, partly for the nifty view but also to illustrate how the monolithic shopping center stands aloof from its own environment. Aside from a few pedestrians heading east or west to the small handful of restaurants on seven-lane-wide Pico, the only real life at street level consists of teenagers waiting for the bus. Westwood Boulevard feels equally stark, with seven lanes flanked by shops that are all work and no play: office spaces, home goods, day care--not exactly conducive to browsing or loitering. How lovely would things be if everything just…slowed down a tad? Westwood Boulevard, now mostly a throughway, could finally transform into West LA's Main Street for both residents and nearby UCLA students. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: norwich, united kingdom
- lincoln boulevard + washington boulevard
- reader request: hyperion ave + tracy street
- essay: the clustering instinct
- the grove
- friday favorites: los angeles, california
- eagle rock boulevard + colorado boulevard (II)
- essay: cul-de-sacs remind me of appendicitis
- reader request: 6th street + park view street
- burbank boulevard + van nuys boulevard
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- friday favorites: portofino, italy
- silver lake boulevard + effie street, silver lake ...
- essay: looking vs. seeing when visualizing urban r...
- reader request: silver lake boulevard + effie stre...
- reader request: van nuys boulevard + oxnard street...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + colorado bo...
- friday favorites: Boston, USA
- wilshire boulevard + orange grove avenue, museum r...
- figueroa street + 12th street, downtown
- documentary: hot cities
- westwood boulevard + pico boulevard, west los ange...
- friday favorites: paris, france
- ▼ January 2010 ( 23 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design