Sunday, January 17, 2010
Thanks again to Andy Hurvitz for the location request.
Here's another shot from the incredibly wide Van Nuys Blvd. (see last week's photo, too). The weirdest thing about this mammoth street has to be the white chevron median strip: its sole function seems to be as a left turn conduit, except that it's three lanes wide. Mysteries of the Valley like these still elude me, which probably means I need to take a trip either to Wikipedia, the library, or both. In any case, Van Nuys Blvd. seems to be the perfect candidate for narrowing-by-infill — it's so supersized that you could drop a whole row of buildings in the middle and still have multi-lane roads on either side. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: norwich, united kingdom
- lincoln boulevard + washington boulevard
- reader request: hyperion ave + tracy street
- essay: the clustering instinct
- the grove
- friday favorites: los angeles, california
- eagle rock boulevard + colorado boulevard (II)
- essay: cul-de-sacs remind me of appendicitis
- reader request: 6th street + park view street
- burbank boulevard + van nuys boulevard
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- friday favorites: portofino, italy
- silver lake boulevard + effie street, silver lake ...
- essay: looking vs. seeing when visualizing urban r...
- reader request: silver lake boulevard + effie stre...
- reader request: van nuys boulevard + oxnard street...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + colorado bo...
- friday favorites: Boston, USA
- wilshire boulevard + orange grove avenue, museum r...
- figueroa street + 12th street, downtown
- documentary: hot cities
- westwood boulevard + pico boulevard, west los ange...
- friday favorites: paris, france
- ▼ January 2010 ( 23 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design