Thursday, January 28, 2010
Ah, Lincoln, known by all as Stinkin' Lincoln, how we love to hate you. Your miles of urban blight leave no room for greenery. Your buildings have either retreated behind vast carpark buffers or turned their backs on you entirely, their faux front doors hung with "Parking in Rear" signs. In short, you act like a freeway but think you're a small local road, making you one of the city's most schizophrenic places to be. I hate to be harsh, but other streets at least put forth an effort to be better, streets that are bigger than you —and you're eight lanes wide! Sure, you didn't choose to be overbuilt like you are; sure, you didn't ask to be the only practical conduit connecting all beach points between Santa Monica + LAX. But is this any way to live, Stinkin'? You could plant trees, build medians, allow for buildings over two stories (what is this, 1930?) — even better, you could even infill with a streetcar running down your middle. You've got the room. Like it or not, you've become the Westside's "missing" freeway, a major corridor to thousands each day. Time to start acting like one! See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: norwich, united kingdom
- lincoln boulevard + washington boulevard
- reader request: hyperion ave + tracy street
- essay: the clustering instinct
- the grove
- friday favorites: los angeles, california
- eagle rock boulevard + colorado boulevard (II)
- essay: cul-de-sacs remind me of appendicitis
- reader request: 6th street + park view street
- burbank boulevard + van nuys boulevard
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- friday favorites: portofino, italy
- silver lake boulevard + effie street, silver lake ...
- essay: looking vs. seeing when visualizing urban r...
- reader request: silver lake boulevard + effie stre...
- reader request: van nuys boulevard + oxnard street...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + colorado bo...
- friday favorites: Boston, USA
- wilshire boulevard + orange grove avenue, museum r...
- figueroa street + 12th street, downtown
- documentary: hot cities
- westwood boulevard + pico boulevard, west los ange...
- friday favorites: paris, france
- ▼ January 2010 ( 23 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design