Monday, January 11, 2010
Thanks to Rebecca Niederlander for the location request.
Eagle Rock feels relaxing + nerve-wracking at the same time — a small, sleepy village built around streets wide enough to use as airplane runways. Crossing the street, I noticed, seemed more like a defiant act of local pride than a hop, skip, or jump. One resident stared down cars (each itching to make their left turn) as he crossed, as if to declare: I have the right to stroll along without sprinting like a soldier fleeing gunfire, and stroll along I shall, dammit! Big city features like crosswalk countdowns + controlled left turn lanes seem out of place in this otherwise sweetly cozy hipster enclave, which is why Eagle Rock makes a bit more sense when narrowed down. Our two early birds sitting at the cafe in the photo, for example, feel less absurd when facing one lane as opposed to the six in reality. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: norwich, united kingdom
- lincoln boulevard + washington boulevard
- reader request: hyperion ave + tracy street
- essay: the clustering instinct
- the grove
- friday favorites: los angeles, california
- eagle rock boulevard + colorado boulevard (II)
- essay: cul-de-sacs remind me of appendicitis
- reader request: 6th street + park view street
- burbank boulevard + van nuys boulevard
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- friday favorites: portofino, italy
- silver lake boulevard + effie street, silver lake ...
- essay: looking vs. seeing when visualizing urban r...
- reader request: silver lake boulevard + effie stre...
- reader request: van nuys boulevard + oxnard street...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + colorado bo...
- friday favorites: Boston, USA
- wilshire boulevard + orange grove avenue, museum r...
- figueroa street + 12th street, downtown
- documentary: hot cities
- westwood boulevard + pico boulevard, west los ange...
- friday favorites: paris, france
- ▼ January 2010 ( 23 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design