Monday, January 25, 2010
The Grove shopping mall is narrow enough, I guess, and is attractive in an artificial, Vegas-y simulacrum sort of way. Those advertisement + shop kiosks, for example, look like they're supposed to evoke Paris, so what the hey — let's see how they look on a Paris-sized street! Curiously, the pedestrian-only Grove is built as if it were expecting car traffic: travel lanes heading in opposite directions are separated by a textured "median" for the goofy streetcar that crawls along the mall's quarter mile length. The choice of asphalt as a walking surface (as opposed to paving stones) is odd as well, but then again this is a reproduction of a nostalgic memory of a simulation we're talking about here, so such oddities are to be expected. It'd be great if The Grove's large city block of buildings were permeated more evenly by a squiggly, fine-grained grid of walkways like the more charming Farmer's Market next door, with its bazaar-like cluster of tiny shops. It instead opts for the contemporary approach of extreme centralization: a single pathway funnels all traffic along a main drag of large retail chains. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: norwich, united kingdom
- lincoln boulevard + washington boulevard
- reader request: hyperion ave + tracy street
- essay: the clustering instinct
- the grove
- friday favorites: los angeles, california
- eagle rock boulevard + colorado boulevard (II)
- essay: cul-de-sacs remind me of appendicitis
- reader request: 6th street + park view street
- burbank boulevard + van nuys boulevard
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- friday favorites: portofino, italy
- silver lake boulevard + effie street, silver lake ...
- essay: looking vs. seeing when visualizing urban r...
- reader request: silver lake boulevard + effie stre...
- reader request: van nuys boulevard + oxnard street...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + colorado bo...
- friday favorites: Boston, USA
- wilshire boulevard + orange grove avenue, museum r...
- figueroa street + 12th street, downtown
- documentary: hot cities
- westwood boulevard + pico boulevard, west los ange...
- friday favorites: paris, france
- ▼ January 2010 ( 23 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design