Sunday, January 17, 2010
Travel south of the 10 freeway along Crenshaw Blvd., and you'll find yourself in the heart of one of the largest African-American neighborhoods in the country. Head further to Martin Luther King Blvd. and you'll reach a community gateway of sorts: a large shopping mall straddling MLK; nifty restaurants + local hangouts; a huge nearby park boasting facilities for tennis, baseball, and all kinds of other weekend activities. But standing at this massive crossroads, it's hard to get a sense of any of this activity when faced by the overwhelming, continuous roar of eight lanes of traffic travelling east-west and nine lanes streaming north-south. There's plenty of commerce here, along with churches and schools, but still no substantial street life to glue it all together. Why not spare some of that car-space for the actual people that make up the community itself? See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: norwich, united kingdom
- lincoln boulevard + washington boulevard
- reader request: hyperion ave + tracy street
- essay: the clustering instinct
- the grove
- friday favorites: los angeles, california
- eagle rock boulevard + colorado boulevard (II)
- essay: cul-de-sacs remind me of appendicitis
- reader request: 6th street + park view street
- burbank boulevard + van nuys boulevard
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- friday favorites: portofino, italy
- silver lake boulevard + effie street, silver lake ...
- essay: looking vs. seeing when visualizing urban r...
- reader request: silver lake boulevard + effie stre...
- reader request: van nuys boulevard + oxnard street...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + colorado bo...
- friday favorites: Boston, USA
- wilshire boulevard + orange grove avenue, museum r...
- figueroa street + 12th street, downtown
- documentary: hot cities
- westwood boulevard + pico boulevard, west los ange...
- friday favorites: paris, france
- ▼ January 2010 ( 23 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design