a fantasy urban makeover in photographs
Monday, December 28, 2009
I love navigating by landmarks. Too often we reduce the city into a series of abstract driving directions, a mathematical method of wayfinding that for me just isn't as pleasurable or familiar as (say) telling a friend to head toward the Jensen's building to meet me at Pescado Mojado. Los Angeles has its landmarks to be sure, but they can sometimes feel few, far between, and robbed of thunder + context by the oceans of asphalt separating them. In the photo above, Jensen's feels like an island, Pescado Mojado just another storefront. But when narrowed, the two buildings become related--a phenomenon called proximity in design parlance, where the viewer assigns more meaning as two objects move nearer to one another. These two buildings, when smooshed closer together, transform into a gateway landmark: a clear entranceway into all that Echo Park has to offer. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- ► 2010 (126)
- sawtelle boulevard, west los angeles
- reader request: 3rd street promenade, santa monica...
- study: street width vs. accident frequency
- sunset boulevard + echo park avenue, echo park
- friday favorites: venice, italy
- la brea avenue + 6th street, mid-wilshire (I)
- reader request: flower street + pico boulevard, do...
- video: copenhagen's innovative cycling policies
- sunset boulevard, echo park (II)
- nature abhors a monoculture
- friday favorites: barcelona, spain
- geek out: narrow street design guide from SMRC
- video: charley in new town (1948)
- reader request: sunset boulevard, echo park (I)
- get involved: "complete streets"
- melrose avenue near gardner street, melrose distri...
- friday favorites: kyoto, japan
- meet jon lind of de fietsfabriek dutch cargo bikes...
- guerilla activism: do-it-yourself "sharrows"
- wilshire boulevard + 9th street, santa monica
- cast your vote: people powered movement photo cont...
- get involved: the livable streets initiative
- la cienega boulevard, restaurant row
- friday favorites: shibuya, tokyo, japan
- david owen's "green metropolis": what do new yorke...
- arden boulevard + 6th street, hancock park
- respect: matt logue's "empty LA"
- CNU video contest winner: remix urban spaces now!
- ▼ December 2009 (28)
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design