Thursday, December 17, 2009
A guide by the Stormwater Manager's Resource Center in Maryland (funded by the EPA et. al.) states that roads can be as narrow as 22 to 26 feet and still allow access for emergency + large vehicles (Kyoto's Sanitation Services: "duh"). The guide is a bit paranoid contingent and not quite narrow enough for me, but it's a start. It still doesn't overcome the whole chicken-and-egg thing, either: streets, it says, must take into account existing traffic volume. But streets invite volume, especially if built too wide. Narrower streets, when dovetailed with excellent public or individual transport options, can give people solid reasons to give the car the day off. Read more.
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- sawtelle boulevard, west los angeles
- reader request: 3rd street promenade, santa monica...
- study: street width vs. accident frequency
- sunset boulevard + echo park avenue, echo park
- friday favorites: venice, italy
- la brea avenue + 6th street, mid-wilshire (I)
- reader request: flower street + pico boulevard, do...
- video: copenhagen's innovative cycling policies
- sunset boulevard, echo park (II)
- nature abhors a monoculture
- friday favorites: barcelona, spain
- geek out: narrow street design guide from SMRC
- video: charley in new town (1948)
- reader request: sunset boulevard, echo park (I)
- get involved: "complete streets"
- melrose avenue near gardner street, melrose distri...
- friday favorites: kyoto, japan
- meet jon lind of de fietsfabriek dutch cargo bikes...
- guerilla activism: do-it-yourself "sharrows"
- wilshire boulevard + 9th street, santa monica
- cast your vote: people powered movement photo cont...
- get involved: the livable streets initiative
- la cienega boulevard, restaurant row
- friday favorites: shibuya, tokyo, japan
- david owen's "green metropolis": what do new yorke...
- arden boulevard + 6th street, hancock park
- respect: matt logue's "empty LA"
- CNU video contest winner: remix urban spaces now!
- ▼ December 2009 ( 28 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design