Thursday, December 24, 2009
The familiar Samsung sign on La Brea + Wilshire has always felt like a nascent Times Square to me, burning a fierce blue, drawing people toward it like a beacon. But at the base of the sign there is no gathering place, and no street life awaits--just seven lanes of cars on Wilshire, seven on La Brea. Still, you can sense the city's urge to transform this crossroads into a clustering spot: steadily increasing numbers of absolutely top-notch restaurants + shops show promise, even though they're still too spread out to obviate the need for infernal valet parking. So who knows? Maybe we'll see more neon temples erected: Facebook, or HTC. Maybe in 25 years this asphalt nexus will even become the place to celebrate New Year's Eve under a borealis of light. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- sawtelle boulevard, west los angeles
- reader request: 3rd street promenade, santa monica...
- study: street width vs. accident frequency
- sunset boulevard + echo park avenue, echo park
- friday favorites: venice, italy
- la brea avenue + 6th street, mid-wilshire (I)
- reader request: flower street + pico boulevard, do...
- video: copenhagen's innovative cycling policies
- sunset boulevard, echo park (II)
- nature abhors a monoculture
- friday favorites: barcelona, spain
- geek out: narrow street design guide from SMRC
- video: charley in new town (1948)
- reader request: sunset boulevard, echo park (I)
- get involved: "complete streets"
- melrose avenue near gardner street, melrose distri...
- friday favorites: kyoto, japan
- meet jon lind of de fietsfabriek dutch cargo bikes...
- guerilla activism: do-it-yourself "sharrows"
- wilshire boulevard + 9th street, santa monica
- cast your vote: people powered movement photo cont...
- get involved: the livable streets initiative
- la cienega boulevard, restaurant row
- friday favorites: shibuya, tokyo, japan
- david owen's "green metropolis": what do new yorke...
- arden boulevard + 6th street, hancock park
- respect: matt logue's "empty LA"
- CNU video contest winner: remix urban spaces now!
- ▼ December 2009 ( 28 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design