Wednesday, December 23, 2009
(Thanks to reader Mochi Park for the request.)
Mixed modes of transport must inevitably interface with one another, and each transfer point represents an opportunity to welcome arriving visitors with information, street food, souvenir shops, juggling mimes, and other goodies to boost the health of local business. This train station in downtown LA hasn't seen those opportunities yet. Instead of creating a vibrant train station culture, it opts for the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" approach: passengers disembark directly onto three lanes of traffic moving up to 45mph, with not a single amenity in sight. This is non-design at its worst--not ill-conceived, but non-conceived, creating a street that is not only seriously unsafe but also seriously boring. You can do better, downtown LA! See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- sawtelle boulevard, west los angeles
- reader request: 3rd street promenade, santa monica...
- study: street width vs. accident frequency
- sunset boulevard + echo park avenue, echo park
- friday favorites: venice, italy
- la brea avenue + 6th street, mid-wilshire (I)
- reader request: flower street + pico boulevard, do...
- video: copenhagen's innovative cycling policies
- sunset boulevard, echo park (II)
- nature abhors a monoculture
- friday favorites: barcelona, spain
- geek out: narrow street design guide from SMRC
- video: charley in new town (1948)
- reader request: sunset boulevard, echo park (I)
- get involved: "complete streets"
- melrose avenue near gardner street, melrose distri...
- friday favorites: kyoto, japan
- meet jon lind of de fietsfabriek dutch cargo bikes...
- guerilla activism: do-it-yourself "sharrows"
- wilshire boulevard + 9th street, santa monica
- cast your vote: people powered movement photo cont...
- get involved: the livable streets initiative
- la cienega boulevard, restaurant row
- friday favorites: shibuya, tokyo, japan
- david owen's "green metropolis": what do new yorke...
- arden boulevard + 6th street, hancock park
- respect: matt logue's "empty LA"
- CNU video contest winner: remix urban spaces now!
- ▼ December 2009 ( 28 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design