Monday, December 14, 2009
The hip part of Melrose (as opposed to its frighteningly expensive sections in West Hollywood) is a shop-hopper's paradise, with block after block of endlessly changing boutiques. Tracing the walking patterns of shoppers would most likely reveal a series of U-turn paths travelling up the street, then crossing the avenue's six car widths in order to promenade the other side. But instead of being limited to such systematically linear behavior, what if those trajectories were allowed to safely criss-cross at will, as if drawing the street together with invisible laces? Possibilities would open up, along with shoppers' wallets. Cinch it together!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- sawtelle boulevard, west los angeles
- reader request: 3rd street promenade, santa monica...
- study: street width vs. accident frequency
- sunset boulevard + echo park avenue, echo park
- friday favorites: venice, italy
- la brea avenue + 6th street, mid-wilshire (I)
- reader request: flower street + pico boulevard, do...
- video: copenhagen's innovative cycling policies
- sunset boulevard, echo park (II)
- nature abhors a monoculture
- friday favorites: barcelona, spain
- geek out: narrow street design guide from SMRC
- video: charley in new town (1948)
- reader request: sunset boulevard, echo park (I)
- get involved: "complete streets"
- melrose avenue near gardner street, melrose distri...
- friday favorites: kyoto, japan
- meet jon lind of de fietsfabriek dutch cargo bikes...
- guerilla activism: do-it-yourself "sharrows"
- wilshire boulevard + 9th street, santa monica
- cast your vote: people powered movement photo cont...
- get involved: the livable streets initiative
- la cienega boulevard, restaurant row
- friday favorites: shibuya, tokyo, japan
- david owen's "green metropolis": what do new yorke...
- arden boulevard + 6th street, hancock park
- respect: matt logue's "empty LA"
- CNU video contest winner: remix urban spaces now!
- ▼ December 2009 ( 28 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design