Thursday, December 31, 2009
Who doesn't love Sawtelle? With its great food, izakayas, and hipster J-pop boutiques, it's a favorite among Westsiders who don't want to schlep all the way to Little Tokyo downtown. It's still a bit wide, however--just wide enough to invite just slightly too much traffic and its associated parking hassles. Narrowing the street (and even better, providing real public transportation options to get there and beyond) would let Sawtelle turn its focus away from cars and onto fostering what it now still lacks: real street life, with sidewalk vendors, outdoor cafés, and impromptu public events. This freshly-narrowed Sawtelle would feel less like the suburban throughway it currently is and more like an outdoor gathering space--perfect for enough goodies like bon odori parades + tofu festivals to give downtown a run for its money. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- sawtelle boulevard, west los angeles
- reader request: 3rd street promenade, santa monica...
- study: street width vs. accident frequency
- sunset boulevard + echo park avenue, echo park
- friday favorites: venice, italy
- la brea avenue + 6th street, mid-wilshire (I)
- reader request: flower street + pico boulevard, do...
- video: copenhagen's innovative cycling policies
- sunset boulevard, echo park (II)
- nature abhors a monoculture
- friday favorites: barcelona, spain
- geek out: narrow street design guide from SMRC
- video: charley in new town (1948)
- reader request: sunset boulevard, echo park (I)
- get involved: "complete streets"
- melrose avenue near gardner street, melrose distri...
- friday favorites: kyoto, japan
- meet jon lind of de fietsfabriek dutch cargo bikes...
- guerilla activism: do-it-yourself "sharrows"
- wilshire boulevard + 9th street, santa monica
- cast your vote: people powered movement photo cont...
- get involved: the livable streets initiative
- la cienega boulevard, restaurant row
- friday favorites: shibuya, tokyo, japan
- david owen's "green metropolis": what do new yorke...
- arden boulevard + 6th street, hancock park
- respect: matt logue's "empty LA"
- CNU video contest winner: remix urban spaces now!
- ▼ December 2009 ( 28 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design