Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Thanks to reader Donald Weller for the suggestion.
To be fair, 3rd Street Promenade doesn't really need narrowing. As it is, it's one of LA's most popular + desirable places to live near and visit, with plenty of shops, street life, and opportunities for people-watching. But hey--why the hell not, right? Transformed thus it sheds all pretense of accommodating auto traffic altogether. Buildings feel slightly taller, the trees form a lovely canopy, and the street feels even more intimate: a tunnel passage rather than a promenade. See it narrowed!
Diptych prints available
Keep those location requests coming! I'll hop on the ole scooter for an early morning narrowing run + report back with pics.
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- sawtelle boulevard, west los angeles
- reader request: 3rd street promenade, santa monica...
- study: street width vs. accident frequency
- sunset boulevard + echo park avenue, echo park
- friday favorites: venice, italy
- la brea avenue + 6th street, mid-wilshire (I)
- reader request: flower street + pico boulevard, do...
- video: copenhagen's innovative cycling policies
- sunset boulevard, echo park (II)
- nature abhors a monoculture
- friday favorites: barcelona, spain
- geek out: narrow street design guide from SMRC
- video: charley in new town (1948)
- reader request: sunset boulevard, echo park (I)
- get involved: "complete streets"
- melrose avenue near gardner street, melrose distri...
- friday favorites: kyoto, japan
- meet jon lind of de fietsfabriek dutch cargo bikes...
- guerilla activism: do-it-yourself "sharrows"
- wilshire boulevard + 9th street, santa monica
- cast your vote: people powered movement photo cont...
- get involved: the livable streets initiative
- la cienega boulevard, restaurant row
- friday favorites: shibuya, tokyo, japan
- david owen's "green metropolis": what do new yorke...
- arden boulevard + 6th street, hancock park
- respect: matt logue's "empty LA"
- CNU video contest winner: remix urban spaces now!
- ▼ December 2009 ( 28 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design