Monday, November 9, 2009
My first narrowed photo. People often call this tony avenue in Santa Monica "cute"--but one day, I looked carefully to realize that it stretches up to six cars wide at points. Despite being so wide, straight, and otherwise built for speed, traffic crawls along at 25 MPH due to looky-loos or parking hunters. Honking punctuates the air, creating a paradoxical scene that looks laid-back but actually feels quite tense. But what if it were half the width? And had half the cars? Now we're talking cute! Show it narrowed!
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- ocean avenue + santa monica boulevard, santa monic...
- respect: cicLAvia
- melrose avenue + la brea boulevard, hollywood
- sunset boulevard + clark street, west hollywood
- respect: "los angeles without traffic"
- la cienega boulevard + 3rd street, mid-wilshire
- where my single-car commuters at?
- century park east, century city
- 1st street, japantown
- montana avenue, santa monica
- welcome to narrow streets los angeles!
- ▼ November 2009 ( 11 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design