Monday, November 16, 2009
The optimistically-named Century City has always felt to me like a Ballardian complex of futuristic ruins preserved intact, all gleaming skyscrapers and acres of asphalt devoid not only of foot traffic but even street parking, too--talk about utopian! As a result, this "city" has a stark, artificial beauty to it that quickly becomes tinged with menace after nightfall. Narrowing things brings the atmosphere closer to that of a Manhattan-cum-palm-trees, but the fact remains that Century City can never escape its true architectural roots: the suburban business park. Strip out those traffic lanes!
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- ocean avenue + santa monica boulevard, santa monic...
- respect: cicLAvia
- melrose avenue + la brea boulevard, hollywood
- sunset boulevard + clark street, west hollywood
- respect: "los angeles without traffic"
- la cienega boulevard + 3rd street, mid-wilshire
- where my single-car commuters at?
- century park east, century city
- 1st street, japantown
- montana avenue, santa monica
- welcome to narrow streets los angeles!
- ▼ November 2009 ( 11 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design