Thursday, November 19, 2009
When seen against La Cienega's original width, the Beverly Center Mall (on the left) looks like a colossal, squat block, as if someone took a typical "big box" store and scaled it up through sheer brute force and with no regard for proportion. Upon narrowing this mighty boulevard, however, the entire mall starts to feel taller + more skyscraper-like--which is how an eight-story structure should feel. It also gives this shopping street a wonderful, almost Tokyo-like density that practically invites pedestrians to jaywalk + store hop. Street, be narrowed!
explore the map
- ► 2010 ( 126 )
- ocean avenue + santa monica boulevard, santa monic...
- respect: cicLAvia
- melrose avenue + la brea boulevard, hollywood
- sunset boulevard + clark street, west hollywood
- respect: "los angeles without traffic"
- la cienega boulevard + 3rd street, mid-wilshire
- where my single-car commuters at?
- century park east, century city
- 1st street, japantown
- montana avenue, santa monica
- welcome to narrow streets los angeles!
- ▼ November 2009 ( 11 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design