Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Thanks to Allison Achauer for the location request, who writes: "One street that has always struck me as ridiculously wide is Huntington Blvd. in San Marino. It's all very fancy, of course, with a gigantic grassy median, but the two sides feel like opposite shores of a vast lake!"
Idyllic, sleepy San Marino is bisected by Huntington Avenue, a street named after old-California royalty that features a cozy string of shops as well as an adorably teeny city hall building facing an ornate town clock across the street. But you'll need field binoculars to check the time on that clock, separated as it is by Huntington's eleven (11!) lanes — that's wider than the Arroyo Seco Parkway! Allison's not the only one who's confused by this crazy width. What did San Marino's residents have in mind for this street? A parade? Express transport for Saturn V rocket engines? Anyone?
Narrowing Huntington down to a properly-sized road brings that charming clock tower closer to whoever might be waiting at that bus stop, allowing them to admire its fine ornamentation — and finally be able to check the time, too. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: hanbury road, london
- melrose avenue + gower street
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- reader request: colorado boulevard + mount royal d...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + yosemite dr...
- friday favorites: sitges, spain
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino aven...
- reader request: sunset boulevard + virgil avenue
- 6th street + park view street, macarthur park
- larchmont boulevard
- friday favorites: the narrowest street in the worl...
- abbot kinney boulevard, venice
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino ave ...
- red light stop, green light go, yellow light gun i...
- 6th street + lorraine boulevard, hancock park
- reader request: san gabriel boulevard near hunting...
- streetfilms' latest video: the new times square
- friday favorites: olvera street, los angeles
- 3rd street + the grove drive
- reader request: grand avenue + 1st street (northwe...
- individuality, capitalism, + lawn care: upon readi...
- camden avenue + massachusetts avenue, westwood
- ▼ February 2010 ( 22 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design