Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Thanks to NS:LA regular Andy Hurvitz for the location request.
It's tough to tell at a glance, but this little crossroads is chock full of goodies: Acapulco Mexican restaurant, Rudy's Barbers, El Chavo Restaurant, Uncle Jer's curiosity shop, and the historic Vista theatre. On paper, it's the perfect place to get a haircut, dinner, and some window shopping fun before a movie. Reality's a little more challenging, with each zig and/or zag across Sunset requiring interminable waits at the huge paralellogram intersection. Narrowing things thrusts street life to the foreground, transforms streethopping into a more sprightly affair, and obviates the need for heavy-handed formalities like that dedicated left turn signage looming above the road like a giant staple — which, when abbreviated, could serve nicely as gateway to let people know they've entered a new + unique neighborhood.See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: hanbury road, london
- melrose avenue + gower street
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- reader request: colorado boulevard + mount royal d...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + yosemite dr...
- friday favorites: sitges, spain
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino aven...
- reader request: sunset boulevard + virgil avenue
- 6th street + park view street, macarthur park
- larchmont boulevard
- friday favorites: the narrowest street in the worl...
- abbot kinney boulevard, venice
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino ave ...
- red light stop, green light go, yellow light gun i...
- 6th street + lorraine boulevard, hancock park
- reader request: san gabriel boulevard near hunting...
- streetfilms' latest video: the new times square
- friday favorites: olvera street, los angeles
- 3rd street + the grove drive
- reader request: grand avenue + 1st street (northwe...
- individuality, capitalism, + lawn care: upon readi...
- camden avenue + massachusetts avenue, westwood
- ▼ February 2010 ( 22 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design