Monday, February 15, 2010
Why does angled, head-in parking make any shopping strip suddenly feel like Main Street, USA? For some mysterious reason this simple design pattern has a cozy-ing effect, making you feel like you've stepped out of your car and into a small upscale village retreat. Larchmont's width, however, is still prodigious enough to elicit a single odd design choice: notice the little red dot in the photo's dead center? It's a stop sign, and it marks the only officially sanctioned spot to safely cross back + forth — a telltale clue that city planners deemed the street too fast for safe jaywalking. Weird to build a shopping village in such a way, no? If I were a store owner, I'd love to be located on a the street narrow enough to encourage more traversing by shoppers, all zigzagging back and forth along dozens of impulsive desire lines. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: hanbury road, london
- melrose avenue + gower street
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- reader request: colorado boulevard + mount royal d...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + yosemite dr...
- friday favorites: sitges, spain
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino aven...
- reader request: sunset boulevard + virgil avenue
- 6th street + park view street, macarthur park
- larchmont boulevard
- friday favorites: the narrowest street in the worl...
- abbot kinney boulevard, venice
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino ave ...
- red light stop, green light go, yellow light gun i...
- 6th street + lorraine boulevard, hancock park
- reader request: san gabriel boulevard near hunting...
- streetfilms' latest video: the new times square
- friday favorites: olvera street, los angeles
- 3rd street + the grove drive
- reader request: grand avenue + 1st street (northwe...
- individuality, capitalism, + lawn care: upon readi...
- camden avenue + massachusetts avenue, westwood
- ▼ February 2010 ( 22 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design