Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Thanks to Scot Pansing for the location suggestion.
This corner of downtown is wonderland of architectural fancy: in a single city block you've got the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, MOCA, and the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion + Walt Disney Concert Hall, both pictured above. But this block is actually a quarter-mile square, bound by streets eight lanes wide; the view at street level is dominated by concrete vastlands that can swallow up entire crowds of tourists whole. These two cultural meccas above seem too separated, aloof, privatized. Bringing them closer changes their relationship, making them feel more like two temples within a compound: truly the heart beating at downtown's artistic core. Travelling between the two makes more intuitive sense, and becomes more of an intimate segue and less like simple mall-hopping. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: hanbury road, london
- melrose avenue + gower street
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- reader request: colorado boulevard + mount royal d...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + yosemite dr...
- friday favorites: sitges, spain
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino aven...
- reader request: sunset boulevard + virgil avenue
- 6th street + park view street, macarthur park
- larchmont boulevard
- friday favorites: the narrowest street in the worl...
- abbot kinney boulevard, venice
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino ave ...
- red light stop, green light go, yellow light gun i...
- 6th street + lorraine boulevard, hancock park
- reader request: san gabriel boulevard near hunting...
- streetfilms' latest video: the new times square
- friday favorites: olvera street, los angeles
- 3rd street + the grove drive
- reader request: grand avenue + 1st street (northwe...
- individuality, capitalism, + lawn care: upon readi...
- camden avenue + massachusetts avenue, westwood
- ▼ February 2010 ( 22 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design