Monday, February 8, 2010
Thanks to Kathy Rojas for the location request.
There's no denying the charm + beauty of the neighborhoods surrounding San Marino's beloved Huntington Botanical Gardens: impeccable homes of modest grandeur line sunny streets bursting with deep blue-green foliage. This manicured suburbia clearly shows its rural roots, as evidenced by its wide streets — streets I find a little odd. Take this road: it services a sleepy, very low density neighborhood whose residents (unlike their Angeleno counterparts) proudly maintain their sanity by driving at moderate speeds. Despite this small-town character, the road is built six cars wide; it's as if city planners were expecting the Daytona 500 to come barrelling through at any moment. Narrowing the street fits the tone of the area better and has the added bonus of creating tree tunnels, for an even woodsier feel. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: hanbury road, london
- melrose avenue + gower street
- crenshaw boulevard + martin luther king, jr. boule...
- reader request: colorado boulevard + mount royal d...
- reader request: eagle rock boulevard + yosemite dr...
- friday favorites: sitges, spain
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino aven...
- reader request: sunset boulevard + virgil avenue
- 6th street + park view street, macarthur park
- larchmont boulevard
- friday favorites: the narrowest street in the worl...
- abbot kinney boulevard, venice
- reader request: huntington drive + san marino ave ...
- red light stop, green light go, yellow light gun i...
- 6th street + lorraine boulevard, hancock park
- reader request: san gabriel boulevard near hunting...
- streetfilms' latest video: the new times square
- friday favorites: olvera street, los angeles
- 3rd street + the grove drive
- reader request: grand avenue + 1st street (northwe...
- individuality, capitalism, + lawn care: upon readi...
- camden avenue + massachusetts avenue, westwood
- ▼ February 2010 ( 22 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design