a fantasy urban makeover in photographs
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Ah, Helms Bakery. It's like a home-making, feather-nesting Disneyland for grownups, complete with gourmet carnival food (Father's Office burgers, the Let's Be Frank hot dog truck). But few know the secret identity of Venice Blvd., the street adjacent to Helms. At first glance, it's just another product of LA's insane civil engineer clown posse: a crazy ten-lane wide airstrip of a road running rail-straight for miles, built as if meant to be seen from low orbit, with cars routinely reaching 50 or 60mph. But look closer: there's a bike lane! Trace it on a map, and you'll realize that it's the longest bike lane in all of Los Angeles County, stretching nine miles from Crenshaw Blvd. to the sea — in essence, it's the closest thing to a bicycle boulevard LA has. All that needs to be done is to make cycling on Venice an actually pleasant experience, instead of the freeway-like battle it currently is. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- video: my 2010 LA streetsummit presentation
- helms avenue at the helms bakery, culver city
- 2010 LA streetsummit: coverage wrapup
- friday favorites — thursday edition! vintage los a...
- santa monica boulevard + century park west, centur...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: envisioning urbanism photo g...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: what i learned
- grand avenue + 22nd street, los angeles
- 2010 LA streetsummit
- engineering bikeability for fun + profit: my artic...
- meet janette sadik-khan
- friday favorite: the shambles, york, united kingdo...
- venice boulevard + helms avenue, culver city
- reminder: the 2010 LA StreetSummit is this saturda...
- happy st. patrick's day!
- reader request: wilshire boulevard + westwood boul...
- TED talk: Gary Lauder's solution to pointless stop...
- why i am obsessed with obesity
- melrose avenue + westmount drive, west hollywood
- friday favorites: nord alley, seattle, washington
- i'll be at LA streetsummit...will you?
- rodeo drive + dayton way, beverly hills
- meet ramon martinez
- wilshire boulevard + curson avenue, miracle mile
- grand avenue + 1st street (southwest), downtown
- my parents’ house
- interview by openalex
- friday favorites: lucca, italy
- culver boulevard + cardiff avenue, culver city
- washington boulevard terminus, venice
- jh crawford on carbusters.org: making today’s citi...
- main street + hill street, santa monica
- more video goodness from streetfilms: fixing the g...
- sunset boulevard + virgil avenue (II)
- ▼ March 2010 (34)
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design