Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Despite being known for its innovation, LA can be a pretty monotonous city, with most buildings following a single, odd format: cars park in the rear and visitors enter from behind, causing street-facing facades to become dead spots with disuse. Even the Disney Concert Hall, one of LA's greatest monuments, follows this car-centric layout, creating an eerie lack of street life even on big show nights. This standard "Parking in Rear" layout, however innocent, has the unexpected effect of creating the isolated destinations our city is so famous for -- allowing contradictions like the drama of a sublime architectural wonder juxtaposed to the utter banality of a parking structure directly across the street. Narrowing this scene highlights this paradox; the left side of Grand suddenly begs for cafes, shops, and bars. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- video: my 2010 LA streetsummit presentation
- helms avenue at the helms bakery, culver city
- 2010 LA streetsummit: coverage wrapup
- friday favorites — thursday edition! vintage los a...
- santa monica boulevard + century park west, centur...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: envisioning urbanism photo g...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: what i learned
- grand avenue + 22nd street, los angeles
- 2010 LA streetsummit
- engineering bikeability for fun + profit: my artic...
- meet janette sadik-khan
- friday favorite: the shambles, york, united kingdo...
- venice boulevard + helms avenue, culver city
- reminder: the 2010 LA StreetSummit is this saturda...
- happy st. patrick's day!
- reader request: wilshire boulevard + westwood boul...
- TED talk: Gary Lauder's solution to pointless stop...
- why i am obsessed with obesity
- melrose avenue + westmount drive, west hollywood
- friday favorites: nord alley, seattle, washington
- i'll be at LA streetsummit...will you?
- rodeo drive + dayton way, beverly hills
- meet ramon martinez
- wilshire boulevard + curson avenue, miracle mile
- grand avenue + 1st street (southwest), downtown
- my parents’ house
- interview by openalex
- friday favorites: lucca, italy
- culver boulevard + cardiff avenue, culver city
- washington boulevard terminus, venice
- jh crawford on carbusters.org: making today’s citi...
- main street + hill street, santa monica
- more video goodness from streetfilms: fixing the g...
- sunset boulevard + virgil avenue (II)
- ▼ March 2010 ( 34 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design