Monday, March 15, 2010
Don't let its egalitarian-sounding name fool you — WeHo's Avenues of Art + Design are a secret triangular enclave where the rich + famous go for spa days or nest-feathering excursions at ultra-high-end galleries and home furnishing stores (if you can call a $4,000 chrome vase a home furnishing). It's all charming enough, I guess, if predictably devoid of foot traffic (could you imagine the paparazzi?). Except for this little pocket of activity here at Urth Cafe, where I once got the ped-wave from Jason Statham as he strolled across the crosswalk in front of my car. Wahoo, star gazing! Right. So. I find there's not a whole lot to say about the wealthier parts of our fair city, whose coldly stylish streets would be just as frigid whether they were 2 or 200 lanes wide. Community + public space just don't matter to people with enough cash to create their own private kingdoms. Let's just enjoy the narrowed view then, shall we?
See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- video: my 2010 LA streetsummit presentation
- helms avenue at the helms bakery, culver city
- 2010 LA streetsummit: coverage wrapup
- friday favorites — thursday edition! vintage los a...
- santa monica boulevard + century park west, centur...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: envisioning urbanism photo g...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: what i learned
- grand avenue + 22nd street, los angeles
- 2010 LA streetsummit
- engineering bikeability for fun + profit: my artic...
- meet janette sadik-khan
- friday favorite: the shambles, york, united kingdo...
- venice boulevard + helms avenue, culver city
- reminder: the 2010 LA StreetSummit is this saturda...
- happy st. patrick's day!
- reader request: wilshire boulevard + westwood boul...
- TED talk: Gary Lauder's solution to pointless stop...
- why i am obsessed with obesity
- melrose avenue + westmount drive, west hollywood
- friday favorites: nord alley, seattle, washington
- i'll be at LA streetsummit...will you?
- rodeo drive + dayton way, beverly hills
- meet ramon martinez
- wilshire boulevard + curson avenue, miracle mile
- grand avenue + 1st street (southwest), downtown
- my parents’ house
- interview by openalex
- friday favorites: lucca, italy
- culver boulevard + cardiff avenue, culver city
- washington boulevard terminus, venice
- jh crawford on carbusters.org: making today’s citi...
- main street + hill street, santa monica
- more video goodness from streetfilms: fixing the g...
- sunset boulevard + virgil avenue (II)
- ▼ March 2010 ( 34 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design