a fantasy urban makeover in photographs
Monday, March 8, 2010
I remember when my family first moved out of the crime + noise of '70s LA and into the suburban havens of Orange County. Orange County had zero caché back then (no one called it "The OC") but it did have plenty of sun, space, and quiet. It was half rural, with most subdivisions still sharing land with nearby fields of bean, lettuce, and strawberry. I remember the huge, futuristic scale of its new-for-1977 homes, with their giant rooftop foreheads and facades dominated by garage doors: each house a rectangular prism formed by two large blank planes, with just the lower right corner reserved for a dash of faux-period styling. Turns out this minimalism was a great cost-cutting measure, a kind of artificially flavored, starch-heavy architectural recipe that becomes pretty evident when you narrow the sucker down — it's as if they took a somewhat normal-looking cottage and stretched out the cheap parts for the sake of volume. Still, I love my parents' house, and like the junk food of my tween years it inevitably has become a nostalgia-driven part of my aesthetic. See it narrowed!
High quality prints not available ;)
explore the map
- video: my 2010 LA streetsummit presentation
- helms avenue at the helms bakery, culver city
- 2010 LA streetsummit: coverage wrapup
- friday favorites — thursday edition! vintage los a...
- santa monica boulevard + century park west, centur...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: envisioning urbanism photo g...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: what i learned
- grand avenue + 22nd street, los angeles
- 2010 LA streetsummit
- engineering bikeability for fun + profit: my artic...
- meet janette sadik-khan
- friday favorite: the shambles, york, united kingdo...
- venice boulevard + helms avenue, culver city
- reminder: the 2010 LA StreetSummit is this saturda...
- happy st. patrick's day!
- reader request: wilshire boulevard + westwood boul...
- TED talk: Gary Lauder's solution to pointless stop...
- why i am obsessed with obesity
- melrose avenue + westmount drive, west hollywood
- friday favorites: nord alley, seattle, washington
- i'll be at LA streetsummit...will you?
- rodeo drive + dayton way, beverly hills
- meet ramon martinez
- wilshire boulevard + curson avenue, miracle mile
- grand avenue + 1st street (southwest), downtown
- my parents’ house
- interview by openalex
- friday favorites: lucca, italy
- culver boulevard + cardiff avenue, culver city
- washington boulevard terminus, venice
- jh crawford on carbusters.org: making today’s citi...
- main street + hill street, santa monica
- more video goodness from streetfilms: fixing the g...
- sunset boulevard + virgil avenue (II)
- ▼ March 2010 (34)
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design