Thursday, March 11, 2010
I've mentioned cartoon places (like The Grove) before, and to the left of this shot of Rodeo Drive there's one of the cartooniest places in LA: a little strip mall designed to look like a charming, car-free street straight out of Paris, complete with ornamented bollards, cobblestones, and even an incline for a dash of naturalism. Its artificiality is exacerbated by Rodeo Drive itself, a five-laner that, while well-appointed with street furniture like medians and bulbs, is otherwise your typical American drag strip: straight + narrow, with its cars all itching for speed. Narrowing Rodeo makes that little incline feel less like a one-off novelty and more like a properly integrated part of the city. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- video: my 2010 LA streetsummit presentation
- helms avenue at the helms bakery, culver city
- 2010 LA streetsummit: coverage wrapup
- friday favorites — thursday edition! vintage los a...
- santa monica boulevard + century park west, centur...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: envisioning urbanism photo g...
- 2010 LA streetsummit: what i learned
- grand avenue + 22nd street, los angeles
- 2010 LA streetsummit
- engineering bikeability for fun + profit: my artic...
- meet janette sadik-khan
- friday favorite: the shambles, york, united kingdo...
- venice boulevard + helms avenue, culver city
- reminder: the 2010 LA StreetSummit is this saturda...
- happy st. patrick's day!
- reader request: wilshire boulevard + westwood boul...
- TED talk: Gary Lauder's solution to pointless stop...
- why i am obsessed with obesity
- melrose avenue + westmount drive, west hollywood
- friday favorites: nord alley, seattle, washington
- i'll be at LA streetsummit...will you?
- rodeo drive + dayton way, beverly hills
- meet ramon martinez
- wilshire boulevard + curson avenue, miracle mile
- grand avenue + 1st street (southwest), downtown
- my parents’ house
- interview by openalex
- friday favorites: lucca, italy
- culver boulevard + cardiff avenue, culver city
- washington boulevard terminus, venice
- jh crawford on carbusters.org: making today’s citi...
- main street + hill street, santa monica
- more video goodness from streetfilms: fixing the g...
- sunset boulevard + virgil avenue (II)
- ▼ March 2010 ( 34 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design