Thursday, April 1, 2010
I took another look at Van Nuys Blvd., a reader request from a while back, just to re-think what its design intent was. At the 2010 StreetSummit, someone mentioned a little-known DOT rule mandating that portions of certain roads be wide + straight enough to serve as an airplane runway. Mystery, solved. It's a reasonable bit of contingency planning (better safe than sorry), but one that I feel is still woefully inadequate. It doesn't take into account, for example, the case of two jumbo jets landing at the same time, potentially in opposite directions. (It's happened before.) And Mayor Villaraigosa has already pledged to ensure Van Nuys' future as a mixed use district, providing shopping, parking, residences, parking, spaceport facilities, as well as serving as an ideal landing site for potential future (and inevitable) visits by extra-terrestrials, whose looming ships tend to be large + awkwardly shaped (eg. V, District 9). Van Nuys Blvd., currently only eleven (11) lanes wide, needs to be built further out with these New-new Urbanistic goals in mind. Widened, it accommodates a breathtaking 19 lanes — big enough to handle almost anything the Universe can throw its way. See it widened!
(happy April fools day!) :)
explore the map
- friday favorites: VW microbus subway
- thursday do-overs: american makeover's "sprawlanta...
- sunset boulevard + doheny road, west hollywood
- google search story: "LA street story"
- wilshire boulevard + 3rd street promenade, santa m...
- friday favorites: tyler street, dallas, texas
- do-over thursday: time-lapse narrowing fun!
- pico boulevard near vermont avenue, byzantine-lati...
- visualization fix: green island
- alley between 3rd + 4th streets off the 3rd street...
- friday favorites: long tang street, shanghai, chin...
- do-over thursday: NYC DOT's open call for public s...
- reader request: 6th street + spring street, downto...
- visualization fix: taichung gateway project
- spring street bridge, glendale junction
- friday favorites: belden place, san francisco
- do-over thursday: what's wrong with this picture?
- figueroa street + olympic boulevard, downtown
- one to watch: community design group
- ocean avenue + santa monica boulevard (II), santa ...
- van nuys boulevard + burbank boulevard, van nuys: ...
- ▼ April 2010 ( 21 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design