Wednesday, April 28, 2010
If you head just west of the Key Club on Sunset Strip, stop at Gil Turner's liquors, and look downhill, you'll see this long downhill view. It's a bit vergitinous, and cars do indeed bomb down it at speeds reaching 50mph. All the roads perpendicular to the Sunset Strip are like this: a deadly matrix of intersections that invite danger. I should know: I used to work in this neighborhood, where a motorcyclist lost his life one day.
The crash (I never call them "accidents") happened just two blocks west, near where the old Tower Records used to be, and tragic as it was no one seemed all that surprised by it. Sunset is a blazing-fast seven lanes wide after all, with huge intersections to match — intersections with interminable light cycles that all but encourage drivers to take risks like running red lights. Sunset's speed, combined with the decreased stopping ability of drivers frantically rushing downhill, allowed a car to run right into a lane-splitting motorcyclist as he burst into the intersection. A co-worker of mine (trained as an EMT) was on the scene + tried to revive him; she told me what had happened while washing her hands of his blood in the office sink.
The situation could have been prevented if common sense had prevailed during the neighborhood's construction: narrower streets designed to reduce downhill speeds to something less fatal (like 25mph or so). A narrowed Doheny (above) makes much more sense. As it is, it looks like it had been designed as if perfectly level: an idealized mental model on paper divorced from the simple reality of its slope. See it narrowed!
High quality prints available
explore the map
- friday favorites: VW microbus subway
- thursday do-overs: american makeover's "sprawlanta...
- sunset boulevard + doheny road, west hollywood
- google search story: "LA street story"
- wilshire boulevard + 3rd street promenade, santa m...
- friday favorites: tyler street, dallas, texas
- do-over thursday: time-lapse narrowing fun!
- pico boulevard near vermont avenue, byzantine-lati...
- visualization fix: green island
- alley between 3rd + 4th streets off the 3rd street...
- friday favorites: long tang street, shanghai, chin...
- do-over thursday: NYC DOT's open call for public s...
- reader request: 6th street + spring street, downto...
- visualization fix: taichung gateway project
- spring street bridge, glendale junction
- friday favorites: belden place, san francisco
- do-over thursday: what's wrong with this picture?
- figueroa street + olympic boulevard, downtown
- one to watch: community design group
- ocean avenue + santa monica boulevard (II), santa ...
- van nuys boulevard + burbank boulevard, van nuys: ...
- ▼ April 2010 ( 21 )
About the Photographer
Other sites by David Yoon
Tom Baker, LA Without Cars
FriendsNicola Yoon Design